[Stoves] blood analysis as heath impact certification for "clean" stoves

Crispin Pembert-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Tue Apr 29 19:39:30 CDT 2014

Dear B.C.

Do you think that the children and adults, remembering that the children have 1/3 the exposure time, both reached CO equilibrium by the time they were measured?

If so the results indicate that the absorption by children is much faster, but that it may not result in higher levels in the bloodstream.

If this is the case, it is an important aspect of the toxicology. At some point the CO will equilibrate – I am just wondering if we can assert that it happens in 1/3 the time, children v.s adults, the ultimate level being determined by the available ‘supply’.

Thanks

Crispin

 <http://ehs.sph.berkeley.edu/krsmith/?p=993> Non-invasive measurement of carbon monoxide burden in Guatemalan children and adults following wood-fired temazcal (sauna-bath) use

Lam, N., Nicas, M., Ruiz-Mercado, I., & Thompson, L., Romero, C., Smith K.R. (2011). Non-invasive measurement of carbon monoxide burden in Guatemalan children and adults following wood-fired temazcal (sauna-bath) use. Journal of Environmental Monitoring.→ Download PDF

 <http://ehs.sph.berkeley.edu/krsmith/?p=993> http://ehs.sph.berkeley.edu/krsmith/?p=993

This happens when I was working for Kirk´s group and has a good aceptance between people,  Maybe it will help and you don´t need to ask for blood itself.