[Stoves] Trials on TLUD Gas Burners - Counter Current Flow

Julien Winter winter.julien at gmail.com
Sat Aug 2 22:52:51 CDT 2014

Hello stovers;

This morning I woke up with an idea, and decided to give it a try.  It
worked out quite well.  I put a inverted, conical ring on the top of a
natural draft, top-lit updraft (ND-TLUD) reactor, and set a chimney on top
of that so that secondary air could get in between the bottom of the
chimney and the conical ring.  The rig is a bit like putting a cone kiln on
the top of a TLUD.  The best burner had walls of the cone at an angle 60°
from horizontal.  Secondary air was forced to enter the top of the TLUD in
a downward direction, counter current to the direction of the
pyrogas rising out of the fuel bed.  The result was a turbulent flame
indicative of good mixing of gases.

It is too early to say if this counter flow burner is viable, but is looks
very promising.  It is also very easy to manufacture.
How to get the geometry for a cone can be found here:
http://zenstoves.net/PotStands-Conical.htm#MakingYourOwnCone

I have attached a pretentious blurb.

Cheers,
Julien.