[Stoves] Trials on TLUD Gas Burners - Counter Current Flow

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Sun Aug 3 08:37:27 CDT 2014

Dear Julien

There are definitely a lot of photos so I think you should first look in the catalogue of stoves on this site. Paul Anderson and John and I were collaborating a lot in 2003 using opportunities provided by GTZ-ProBEC.

So the early material is from then and the design was made available in full b‎y John some time after that, meaning it is in the public domain.

So Paul and I have a lot of material. There were a few tests done at (early) SeTAR giving gas emissions and power curves. He was trying to make a >5kW space heater‎ with constant heat got about 6 hrs. It happens also to be able to cook one pot.

The fuel was 12mm coal chips which are a waste product,‎ basically, from Witbank. Witbank coal is widely used in the highveld townships by the poor and it is wastefully burned. John managed to get the emissions down well over 90% and the fuel consumption cut by peraps 50% or more. It seems 70% is possible (that number is from other research).

One of the practical problems with gasifiers is maintaining a flame under variable conditions. The angled cone with preheated secondary air (using a jacket around the reactor) stabilises the flame by burning at least initially, a small amount of the top char.

Regards
Crispin in Kitchener (who was that guy??)