[Stoves] Jatropha oil lamp query

Bjarne Laustsen bjarne at kiwlau.com
Tue Aug 26 01:22:57 CDT 2014

Hey James

I have tried to to make a Jatropha oil lamp.
At that time I found that back in time before the electrical bulp was in
use, People used oil lamp. Likely the best of these lamps was based on
the lamp developed by Argand.
I build one lamp based on his principle and it worked well, however I
stopped working on it as I got concerned on the issues of health effects
from gasses from the toxic elements in the Jatropha seeds.

Yours
Bjarne Laustsen

On 8/24/2014 1:02 PM, James Robinson wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> Does anyone have experience of oil lamps (specifically Jatropha) that
> they could share with me please?
>
> I'm involved with some work assessing the small-scale production of
> Jatropha oil and it's use for lighting and can't find much other
> literature on the issue. I'm after a description of the design of a
> lamp that has a proven performance, has achieved customer acceptance,
> and that is ideally commercially available.
>
> Also, any help with an evidence base for toxicity (emissions not fuel)
> and mosquito repelling properties would be appreciated. Once done I'll
> feedback to the list/website with any relevant material. Please reply
> on or off list.
>
> Cheers
> James Robinson

Bjarne Laustsen