[Stoves] Trying new burner for TLUD's

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Fri Aug 29 13:26:26 CDT 2014

Marc and all,

I am glad that we have the Brizer et al paper.

> Birzer, C; Medwell, P; Wilkey, J; West, T; Higgins, M; MacFarlane, G;
> Read, M.  2013.  An analysis of combustion from a top-lit up-draft
> (TLUD) cookstove.  Journal of Humanitarian Engineering, 2(1).
> http://www.ewb.org.au/jhe/index.php/jhe/article/view/11

It shows some serious testing.   As a course project, these students did
better measurements than so many other more-casual examinations of TLUD
stoves.

However, there are some differences between the academic and the
practical aspects.   I am making observations, not criticisms or
compliments:    [Also, if I have missed some point or incorrectly cited
something, please excuse me for replying after only a quick re-reading.]

1.  The experimental TLUD was a single walled fuel canister. (not what
is being made in TLUD projects, with double walls.)

2. The diameter is 200 mm (D = 8 inches), which is also uncommonly large.

3.  The study of chimney heights were with chimneys equal to very close
to D [8"] and 1.5 x D [12 inches] and 2 x D [16 inches]. Interesting
results.   But there are no TLUDs that use RISERS or Pre-pot chimneys
greater than   0.5 x D.    So the results are interesting, but are not
related to the  practical aspects of making TLUDs for household usage.

4.  A tall chimney can favorably impact the clean combustion of the
gases even if there is no concentrator.  The other extreme, being NO
chimney, will be results of burning the gases at will at the top of an
open fuel chamber, and that will be with poor emissions.   Adding a
concentrator with a short chimney has a chance to have better (lower)
emissions.

5.  I question whether or not 0.63 x D should be rounded up to 0.7 or
rounded down to 0.6.   Just an observation.   But the difference between
0.47 and 0.63 is not as noteworthy as between 0.5 and 0.7 when
explaining the rather large difference in results between the two sets
of data and comparing to the 1.0 data set that is similar to the 0.63
data set.

I met these Australian researchers when they, while still students,
attend the CHAB Camp conducted by myself and Hugh McLaughlin and Paul
Taylor (in 2010).   Great guys, eager learners, keen to run experiments,
and they completed what they set out to do.   I again say
Congratulations.    And Thank You.

But they were doing just the start of what is needed, and what could be
done in university courses, and by the rest of us.   To over rely on
their results and methods should not be the basis for advancing TLUD (or
any other) technology.   Replicate, alter, advance, and replicate again.

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype: paultlud      Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com