[Stoves] Stove-heated bed

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Thu Dec 4 11:55:30 CST 2014

Dear Friends

For those of who do not know her, Dr Agnes Klingshirn is one of the historical greats in the stove world. She has been at the forefront (on the German side of the ocean) of keeping domestic stoves a funded, progressive and beneficial movement. Together with Dr Marlis Kees she drove innovation by encouragement and involvement particularly in Africa. Agnes is in several ways responsible for me devoting so much time to the development of new stove designs for which I thank her grandly.

It is probably not out of place for me to say that she is ‘somewhat older’ than I am (49 ‘and some months’ my mother used to say). We always called her the ‘doyen of stoves’. She retains an abiding interest in our work, our discussions, our design innovations and our programmes, and as you can see, still reads ‘the list’.

Us ‘old timers’ (and I include Paul Anderson in that mix) come to stoves from very technical approaches (better combustion, better heat transfer, more features) so the entry of the politicians is a new experience. With them of course comes the money we always complained was not there. Perhaps a generational shift is needed to deal with the modern situation. It is all very exciting.

Best regards

Crispin