[Stoves] Stove-heated bed

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Thu Dec 4 09:18:29 CST 2014

Dear Agnes

Sorry to hear you are not well. Thank you for writing anyway! So many things are happening these days I hardly have time to find billable hours. Huge amounts of money are coming into stoves and it has attracted some very political types with their own agendas. Asia is finally coming out of their shell are taking a central place in the technical discussions. Our WB Clean Stove Initiative - Indonesia pilot which is using a 'contextual testing method' in the lab based on anthropological studies of behaviour won an internal award at the Bank for innovation. The financial subsidy model was the focus mostly, (results based financing) but the whole thing is innovative.

The picture came from an American website run the the masonry heater association of the US. They are active in trying to get sensible rules put in place for their industry and have what look like wonderful workshops where they build astonishing fireplaces. There is a lot of thinking about air flow - many have cold air supplied from outside within the chimney and the rules for performance do not calculate properly. Very antiquated.

I received a message from their big boss yesterday (the heater people) after I wrote about calculations and ideas in other countries.

I hope you saw the note from me about Ulaanbaatar air improving 45% in 2 years because of the stove programme. We now have something 'at scale' to point to which is real.

Nepal and India will meet with me at the end of January to discuss space heating stoves and how to measure them. Mongolia is using the SeTAR method from U JHB which is ultimately a GTZ project, even if they abandoned it. It has just need transferred from geography and Environment to Mechanical Engineering. Prof Annegarn is retiring.

Must go. My granddaughter is on a BBM video call from Toronto. Heh heh. She is one year old!

Best regards
Crispin