[Stoves] Fwd: 2nd firing of the homestead Rocket Kiln

Marquitusus marquitusus at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 9 07:56:01 CST 2014

Hi stovers, as always, impressive images from Jon and Flip that inspires us all!
Regarding the good results of these rocket kilns and comparing to the rocket ovens, it seems to me that maybe rocket stoves are better option for high temperature kilns, and worse for baking ovens.  I say this after taking a look at the darkening of the breads in the Stove Camp 2014 ( https://picasaweb.google.com/Jonnygms/BrickOvenStoveCamp2014)
The darkening of the bread due to incomplete combustion is a problem in all rocket ovens, except the barrel oven, in which the bread isn't in direct contact with the combustion gases.
I keep making bread in my oven, which was initially a Rocket-Oven and now is a TLUD-oven, as I have not been able to obtain a darkened-free bread with rocket technology, and have been to do it with tlud one. In this sense, the rocket technology may be excellent for kilns, as for 500ºC and above, the black carbon particles inside the oven burn away.
What I am trying is to do is create a real alternative for the high mass traditional baking ovens, which consume a lot of wood. And if we must take it seriously, for me is not acceptable for a bread to have a darkened surface, specially for health consecuences of eating a bread like this everyday.
I would be very glad to know your opinion about this fact.
Thanks!Marc