[Stoves] Fwd: 2nd firing of the homestead Rocket Kiln

ajheggie at gmail.com ajheggie at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 01:14:56 CST 2014

[Default] On Tue, 9 Dec 2014 14:56:01 +0100,Marquitusus
<marquitusus at hotmail.com> wrote:

>Regarding the good results of these rocket kilns and comparing to the rocket ovens, it seems to me that maybe rocket stoves are better option for high temperature kilns, and worse for baking ovens.  I say this after taking a look at the darkening of the breads in the Stove Camp 2014 ( https://picasaweb.google.com/Jonnygms/BrickOvenStoveCamp2014)
>The darkening of the bread due to incomplete combustion is a problem in all rocket ovens, except the barrel oven, in which the bread isn't in direct contact with the combustion gases.
>I keep making bread in my oven, which was initially a Rocket-Oven and now is a TLUD-oven, as I have not been able to obtain a darkened-free bread with rocket technology, and have been to do it with tlud one. In this sense, the rocket technology may be excellent for kilns, as for 500ºC and above, the black carbon particles inside the oven burn away.
>What I am trying is to do is create a real alternative for the high mass traditional baking ovens, which consume a lot of wood. And if we must take it seriously, for me is not acceptable for a bread to have a darkened surface, specially for health consecuences of eating a bread like this everyday.

Marc

Traditionally in UK bread was baked by indirect heat, typically in
bread ovens which were first fired with bundles of twigs and then once
the brickwork was hot enough the ashes were raked out and the loaves
sealed into the hot oven until cooked by the residual heat. I take it
this is the same as your "high mass stove" method? Latterly the oven
became a metal box around which the flue gases flowed and nowadays
steam is used. So I'm not surprised there is some particulate
contamination when fired directly in the flue gases, though it is
gratifying to note that this is not such a problem with TLUD which has
lower particulates.

Having had both sooty and charred sour dough when cooked boy scout
style by wrapping the dough helically along a stick and rotating it in
the flame I too didn't like the result. I do wonder if soot ingested
is as bad as soot inhaled?

AJH