[Stoves] Fwd: 2nd firing of the homestead Rocket Kiln

Marquitusus marquitusus at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 11 06:09:18 CST 2014

Yes, this is also the method for traditional ovens here also, except they are made of stones, not bricks.
About the health effects of soot when ingested, I only found this article: http://www.livestrong.com/article/369185-what-are-the-dangers-of-eating-smoked-meat/
All the other scientific papers found only take into consideration the respiratory way of exposure. Soot (as found in occupational exposure of chimney sweeps) has been clasified into  "Group 1 Carcinogenic to humans"(Font: http://monographs.iarc.fr/ENG/Classification/ClassificationsAlphaOrder.pdf) and also its components: black carbon, PAH,...
Also the well known fact that eating burned food is not a good idea can be taken into consideration.
So really I think we cannot be satisfied with our ovens until we find a really soot-free method of heating them.Radiant heat from hot walls is the traditional answer, and also the barrel-oven one, in which the hot gases doesn't contact with the food.
About the possibility of hot gases in direct contact with the food, I think the tier 4 TLUD can be the answer, and maybe also new improvements of the rocket stove if they can achieve really clean combustion.
Marc