[Stoves] Increasing ND-TLUD riser height accelerates gasification and increases bed temperature

Julien Winter winter.julien at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 18:20:09 CST 2014

Hi All;

Attached is an "experimental vignette".  It is a report on a small
experiment conducted to get a better understanding of natural draft TLUD
design.

The height of the riser above a gas burner was doubled.  The resulting
increase in draft in the burner resulted in faster gasification rates and
higher temperatures in the TLUD.   Besides riser height, I have found
that a number of design elements of the gas burner can increase
gasification rate such as the size of secondary air holes.

I have a few more of these experimental vignette to come, such as how
creating a vortex flame may not be a good idea, and how heat is lost from
the side walls of the reactor, and a reasonable heap on reactor temperature
for different fuels.  Now that snow is on the ground in Southern Ontario, I
have more time to analyze data.

All the best
Julien

--