[Stoves] Smokeless transition

Marquitusus marquitusus at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 12 03:01:48 CST 2014

Hi Stovers,
There is a point in the TLUD process that I find specially difficult to understand and control: the transition from wood gasification to char gasification. Maybe you can help me to do it.
At this point,  when the hydrocarbon fuel is near to finish, my experiments with almond husks as fuel for ND-TLUD shows 2 possible endings:           1- The flames in the burner turns to blue color (due to high CO presence in gases) and the char pyrolisis continues until ashes. No smoke present.           2- The flames in the burner extinguishes and the smoke appears.
I made a lot of tests, with variations in ND-TLUD design (riser height, quantity of primary and secondary air, type of concentrator, etc.)  and still I'm not able to say which factor combination is the answer for a smokeless transition. Sometimes I have smoke, and sometimes I don't.
I suspect the answer has to do with chemical fuel composition, as when I use wood pellets, almost never have smoke.
So this is the point where I am today. When char gasification begins, I have to lower the primary air? Lower the secondary air? How I can ensure the flame won't extinguish?
It would be very useful for me to read your comments about this.
Thanks very much,
Marc