[Stoves] Smokeless transition

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Mon Dec 15 11:27:46 CST 2014

Marc,

On 12/15/2014 7:53 AM, Marquitusus wrote:
> _Last smoke to remove_
> At the very end of the process, when the char has been already pirolised
I think you mean to say "when the char has been char-gasifier" or "has
been oxidized".   Pyrolysis is only about converting the biomass into
charcoal, and you wrote that you already had char.
> and very little lefts, I had smoke. It was a different smoke, very
> light and odorless, and lasts about 2 minutes. I suspect it is the
> last remains of CO gases,
It cannot be CO gas because it is odorless and invisible.   But it could
be something else that is mixed in with the last of the rising CO gas.
I have not experienced what you wrote about, but remember that I seldom
burn the remaining char.
> which are not enough to mantain the flame. Maybe the solution is to
> open a third layer of secondary air entrance very near to the bottom,
> as Crispin suggested?
I doubt that additional air would solve the problem because your volume
of rising gases is diminishing and the secondary air was adequate before
that happened.   Additional air could cause even more cooling (and
dilution) of the gases that you are trying to burn.   I could be wrong,
so if you conduct the experiment, please tell us the results whatever
happens.

About getting the clean burn for your baking oven:   The TLUD method is
unique because it does (almost) all the pyrolysis first (and that means
also that the char making was done first at the same time). And the TLUD
burning of the created pyrolytic gases CAN be made quite clean-burning
when done right.   THEN you have the transition that you are solving
now.   So THEN the unit shifts over to being a charcoal burner that CAN
be made to burn cleanly concerning particulates (very little "smokey
stuff" in charcoal), and we hope with low CO, but even if the CO  level
is high, that CO is odorless so it will not impact the exposed bakery
goods in the oven.

As I said, in this way the TLUD aspects (including sequence) of
combustion are truly UNIQUE.  But it does require that the unit is
properly made and operated, and not abused with some damp fuel, etc.
But TLUD heat sources CAN give you what you want.

Maybe someday there will be bakery products labeled something like:
                  "Baked the TLUD way!!"

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype: paultlud      Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com