[Stoves] Correcting a misconception that approaches myth status

kgharris kgharris at sonic.net
Mon Dec 15 22:49:09 CST 2014

Crispin,

In a ND TLDD there will always be a battle between the downward moving air and the hot combustion gasses which will be inclined to rise.  I am thinking that gasses cannot go both directions in the same space, so will there be areas in the fuel where the air will win and areas where the hot gasses will win?  This could lead to the buoyancy caused convection you mention, with the heavier air displacing the hot gasses, pushing them upward.  Could this unevenness be caused by local resistance variations to gas flow in the fuel?  Or might it be a temperature thing where the air wins in cooler areas and the hot gasses win in hotter areas?  Or am I totally off base here?

Kirk