[Stoves] Flamestover TEG device

ajheggie at gmail.com ajheggie at gmail.com
Sun Dec 28 10:02:29 CST 2014

[Default] On Sat, 27 Dec 2014 17:24:05 -0700,"Ronal W. Larson"
<rongretlarson at comcast.net> wrote:

>	I have been meaning to get more deeply into fuel cells for this charger application via stoves.  The oxygen sensors that all modern cars have at least one of were invented by the Bosch company and they are still the main supplier to the auto industry.  Hundreds of models, with the cheapest around $20 at every auto supply store.
>
>	They operate on hydrogen, but aren’t harmed by CO - both of which we have in TLUDs coming out of the fuel bed - along with the needed high temperature (won’t work I think with other types of stoves).  All fuel cells can be high efficiency.  I just haven’t had the time - but plan on a trial at Aprovecho - following ETHOS.

Ron

I suspect you are confusing the zirconia lambda sensors in cars with
the solid oxide fuel cells being developed for use in tandem with gas
turbines.

The lambda sensors work by giving a voltage when the partial pressure
of oxygen differs either side, so the reference oxygen content is the
21% of ambient air and the measured oxygen (or lack of it) is the
exhaust. Oxygen dissociates to an ion on the zirconia surface, gaining
electrons and diffuses through the electrolyte to recombine on the
other side, giving up electrons and hence a potential exists across
the cell if there is a net difference in oxygen.

The SOFC uses a stream of syngas (pure H2 and CO) under pressure, the
hydrogen atoms diffuse through the fuel cell and gain an oxygen atom
plus give up electrons to produce electricity. The CO carries on into
a gas turbine where it is oxidised and produces motive power. Siemens
and Rolls Royce have been on the brink of production of this
vapourware for over 10 years now.

AJH