[Stoves] Request for technology proposals - Clean Stove Initiative, Indonesia

Frank Shields frank at compostlab.com
Fri Feb 21 13:36:45 CST 2014

Dear Ron,

I believe the approach you are taking is wrong and likely to go nowhere.

When boiling water there are lots of waste products from the process: Smoke
and tars, char, ash and left over biomass too small to re-use.

When making Biochar to add to a soil there are waste products:  gases that
are flared off, ash etc.

All are waste products because they are not used for the intended purpose or
product and, before they can be used for something else they need to have
the quality suitable for that purpose.

I think it is good enough to just market a stove for 1) boiling water or 2)
boiling water and produce char for possible other purposes. If the char is
something someone will be able to use they will buy the stove that gives
that added benefit. They can sell it or use it should it have the right
properties. There can be no addition to the formula. There is no winning or
losing.  Just marketing. But we need to make sure it is mentioned char is
produced.

AND I am not so sure the efficiency of a Rocket is all the better than the
TLUD when the right formula is used (E450c). : )   Should the TLUD be
slightly less efficient than the Rocket I think marketing for char will take
it to the top of the list of preferred stoves.

Regards

Frank

Frank Shields

Control Laboratories; Inc.