[Stoves] Request for technology proposals - Clean Stove Initiative, Indonesia

Ronal W. Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Mon Feb 24 15:37:34 CST 2014

Crispin:

	I am going to confine myself only to the last few of your paragraphs, which was the only topic in last night’s message.  You said (from below):

> Regarding the 85% efficient stoves:
>
> A stove that has a very high combustion efficiency, burns all the fuel placed in it, and having a high heat transfer efficiency can put 85% of the energy theoretically available in the fuel consumed into the pot in the form of sensible heat. I have a water heater in my house that is 88% efficient calculated on this basis. I have a furnace that is 92% calculated on this basis. It is therefore possible to accomplish.   [RWL:  I said last time that I agreed it is possible.   But we are starting at hundreds of dollars, I guess, for any wood burner with that possibility.

> If the challenge is to provide a pellet burning, char-making stove with a rated fuel efficiency of 45% (also called the overall thermal efficiency), it would be a requirement to have a heat transfer efficiency that is above 45% in order to have char remaining as unburned fuel. If the heat transfer efficiency is 85% and the rated fuel efficiency is 45%, the difference of 40% can be delivered in the form of char remaining from the fuel consumed
    RWL:  I am sorry that you have changed the problem from Tier two (55%) to Tier one (45%) - because now I have to do more work.  Clearly you were not happy with the conclusion I gave - that your numbers didn’t hold together.  I wish you would have acknowledged that they didn’t  in any reasonable test, (you can’t keep at either 85% reported efficiency or keep the same amount of wood).    Glad that you are now willing to report a 45% stove, because that gets closer to reality, but I am going to also keep the 55% Tier 2 results, because I feel a need to also correct what you did earlier.

	You earlier made a mistake, after you divided by 0.55 in the previous Tier-2 55% case in your lines that I repeated yesterday:
   2 Stars means using up to 7/.55 = 12.727 MJ of heat
   Difference is 4.49 <J or 155 g of char
      If done correctly by including the losses in the 45% that doesn’t get reported for this Tier 1 example, the 4.492 MJ and 155gm for char would have been smaller at 3.257 MJ and 112 gm (by subtracting the loss of 15% X 8.235 = 1.235 MJ).  The char weight percentage would have only been 112/749 gm = 14.95%.  This would not be considered successful for a TLUD.

> I don’t think you need to me put numbers on it to show this.
	[RWL:  Wrong.  I hope you see why from looking below at my putting numbers in play.   Because of time pressures, I am going to just give results and not show equations - I will do for 85% (no char), 55% (Tier 2, your last example, some numbers above, after correction for handling lost energy in what I consider a proper manner) and 45% (Tier 1, the latest example)

      These are the
	useful energy (MJ): 7, 7, 7
	Tier:				3, 2, 1
	Desired “useful" %:  85, 55, 45
	input wood energies (MJ): 8.235, 12.727, 15.555
	Input fuels (gms):  484, 749, 914
	Lost energy (MJ):  1.235, 1.235, 1.235
	Lost energy %:  15, 9.7, 7.9
	Char energy(MJ):  0, 3.257, 6.095
	Char energy  (%):  0,  25.6, 39.18
	Char weights (gm):  0, 112, 210
        Char weights (%):  0, 15.0, 23.0

   Note the third row from bottom is not what you predicted (because of your assumption on lost energies that I think is not likely - overly simplistic.   The conclusion is that any TLUD exceeding 23% char by weight will not achieve Tier 1 standing.  More than 23% is fairly likely.  There is no way most TLUDs could ever achieve Tier 2, since they would have to produce less than 15% char - which is hard to do,  We find the perverse result that the better the char-making characteristics, the worse ranking the stove receives.  Exactly why I hope to see more than a single number for any stove test that involves char.

> Of the original energy in the fuel consumed, 45% would get into the pot as sensible heat, and 40% would emerge as unburned char.
    [RWL:   I have made a different assumption above - that it is not the % efficiency that stays the same, as one adds char-making - rather it is the uncaptured energy.  My approach is more optimistic.  Since char-making stoves are usually reporting higher efficiencies  (less smoke, etc) than rockets, why should energy losses go up as one adds char-making.  The same total energy is arriving at the pot, with or without char-making

> To achieve this would require a fire heat (factored for combustion efficiency) to pot heat (net heat gained) efficiency of 85%.
     [RWL:  That is what I think I am doing - and think you are not.  You are keeping the pot heat at 7MJ, but the lost energy (starting at 15%) keeps going up as one makes more and more char.  This assumption needs justification.

> The system efficiency is 45% (because for each unit of fuel consumed, 45% of the energy available is doing something useful in the pot).
	[RWL:  Ditto - I think I am doing this, but the energy in the gas flow is the same for me in all three cases - not in yours.

> The char production efficiency would be the mass of char yielded divided by the mass of char potentially yieldable (I suppose) or the mass of char divided by the dry mass of fuel used.

	[RWL:  I don’t think we should introduce “potentially yieldable”;  sounds like a bag of worms that won’t help stove users or sellers.  Yes, we should report weights, but to really know what is going on, we also need a ratio of energies  - what I called eff2.

I look forward to hearing whether you have changed your mind on a)  wanting to keep the input wood quantity and wood energy the same as you test char-making stoves, b) whether lost energy percentage stays the same as one adds a char-making function, and c) whether you are providing appropriate information for the char-making stove community (and the country of Indonesia).

Ron