[Stoves] Request for technology proposals - Clean Stove Initiative, Indonesia

Ronal W. Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Mon Feb 24 19:31:28 CST 2014

Crispin ( And AGAIN adding back the stove list).

     1.  I may be able to get to this in three days  (conference coming up).  But I think the stove list deserves to see your responses sooner.

     2.   You are not understanding about half of what I am saying - but no time to try again.   But you have made it very that a char-making stove will receive no credit at all for making char.  I sure hope you have not started a trend in stove testing.

      3.   I point out to others that not only will a char-making stove receive no credit, but it is not clear what amount of wood can be used as you go through the three successive replicating tests. I base this on this  exchange below

RWL saying:
.I look forward to hearing whether you have changed your mind on a)  wanting to keep the input wood quantity and wood energy the same as you test char-making stoves,

> I am not changing my mind at all. The mass of fuel consumed per test replication will be accurately determined by observations. Unburnable char remaining, whatever its energy content, is not considered ‘unburned fuel’. End of short story. Any test that pretends it is, will not be used. We have suffered enough in Africa from stoves selected on that basis using UCB-WBT 3.1. Those days are gone.

    4.   I also quote Crispin from below, for anyone who has seen merit in the normal testing:
> We have suffered enough in Africa from stoves selected on that basis using UCB-WBT 3.1. Those days are gone.

   5.   I repeat my conclusion that only dismal test results await any char-making stove going through this new Crispin procedure.

Ron