[Stoves] diy TLUD flame

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Wed Feb 26 07:09:38 CST 2014

Dear revjcsd,       (sorry I do not recognize your real name or
location/background),

The long tail is because to the time (and space) needed for O2 in air to
mix with the combustible gases (I am repeating what is widely known).
Increased turbulence is the answer, and that is possible in TLUDs that
have forced air.

The rice hull TLUDs can (gently) force the primary air and therefore the
gases, making them go through _relatively small_ openings such as on the
"Belonio burner" that is also well used by Paul Olivier.

Alternatively, forced SECONDARY air can increase the turbulence by use
of _smallish holes_ injecting the air into the rising combustible gases,
as in the Reed Woodgas Campstove (produced since 2003).

But for ND (natural draft) TLUDs, the simple "pulling" of the air (by
negative pressure) makes it difficult to impact both the secondary and
primary air to get the desired result of turbulence because if the
openings/holes are reduced in size, the flow is reduced.

One ND solution is to have a sufficient (1 to 3 meter) chimney to create
significant negative pressure AND at the same time be able to cut back
the primary air, causing the negative pressure to be available for the
secondary air to be pulled in with sufficient force and causing
turbulance.     (I learned this from John Davies in South Africa in 2002).

Bjarne Laustsen in Tanzania has a set of fins to create as swill to
increase turbulence.

This has probably been said many other places and better, but I did not
know where to refer you to get the answer.    And others can refine what
I have written.

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype: paultlud      Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com