[Stoves] diy TLUD flame

revjcsd at juno.com revjcsd at juno.com
Wed Feb 26 18:43:49 CST 2014

Thank you for the many responses to my enquiry (DIY TLUD flame); within the last 12 hours, I've tried to follow the many links in them.

At the risk of appearing intellectually lazy or dense or both, let me ask: is it fair to say the issue is not settled?

But let me address Crispin,

++++++++++++++++++
Crispin

1.

You wrote:

...it is difficult, without a chimney, to get enough impetus into a gas stream in a domestic stove <5kW using max 125mm of draft to properly aerate more than 125mm in diameter.

2.

I checked out this link:

20 January 2013 - 12:00am
Pemberton-Pigott

http://stoves.bioenergylists.org/taxonomy/term/1642

Let me quote from it:

The secondary air is send (sic) across the surface to keep a deck of flame going at the height of the holes. This obviates the need for adding a circular disk at the top to ’keep the flame going’.

Adding a ‘concentrator’ as Paul calls it takes more material and moves the fire too far away from the heat of the pyrolysis bed leading to unwanted flame-outs from time to time.

A major issue with all pyrolysing TLUD’s. It is simply not necessary. Just keep the fire near the fuel.

This also provides additional vertical space for the flame to finish burning before getting to a cold pot surface.

3.

Further in your reply (re: DIY TLUD flame), you wrote:

...An option to consider for regulating the primary air supply is to have a down-drafting portion of the preheating to automatically provide a balanced supply.

4.

I realize this issue may be old hat; I’m updating myself as fast as I can back to posts in 2004.

Meanwhile, may I get the impression that this issue is not settled. What is the critical ingredient: fan? chimney? concentrator lid? washers?

Thanks.

Juanito

Crispin Pembert-Pigott <crispinpigott at outlook.com>,
"Tom Miles" <tmiles at trmiles.com>,