[Stoves] diy TLUD flame

Crispin Pembert-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Wed Feb 26 14:25:28 CST 2014

Dear Jock

Good question:

>All I can say is that my deflectors work like gang busters.  Not sure why the  idea is not more widely used.

>From the look of things, it is an approach with promise. One reason would be that you have not reported the excess air (EA), CO and PM values for some given task, or continuous burn. This that look good do not necessarily measure as well.

I know this is difficult to address, however it matters when discussing novel designs. If I have time (and a drawing) I can try one in the workshop here in Waterloo and measure the CO/CO2 ratio at least, just to report something standard, and then the EA. If the EA is between 80 and 120% it is likely you have a very good combination of size, fuel and burn rate.

Important question: is the power level controllable, and if so, to what extent? The reason I ask is that a 4:1 control is require by ‘normal’ cooks to cover the range of ‘power in the pot’. There are many ways to control the power getting into the pot – not only lowering the fire. But one way or another control needs to be exercised by the cook.

I affirm the need for very good seals on the primary air supply. Most of the problem I see when testing TLUD’s relates to too much primary air, or reliance on the fuel to do the controlling which leaves the user subject to the whims of the fuel preparer.