[Stoves] Terra preta from wood fires in Peru

Ronal W. Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Thu Feb 27 17:01:36 CST 2014

Crispin and list

 see below

On Feb 27, 2014, at 2:19 PM, Crispin Pembert-Pigott <crispinpigott at outlook.com> wrote:

> Dear Friends
>
> Lovely story from Josiah Hunt.
>
> http://www.biochar-international.org/projects_Peru_Josiah_Hunt

     [RWL:   I had not seen this video before.  It is fairly new and I recommend it, although very little on biochar.  But Josiah's observations about seeing biochar used as a common practice is very important.  I have not previously seen that in print for Peru.
	I have been to some of the places shown (Machu Pichu? and others much more remote closer to the ocean) and kick myself for not having looked for what Josiah saw and has here reported on.

	Josiah is one of the best spokespersons we have for biochar.  Look at his TED talk at   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWbomZJn83U.
That one focuses on improved ag performance.  Look at the way he produces char at:
   http://hawaiibiochar.com/biochar-burn-demonstration/
which I got to from Kelpie Wilson’s nice site:  http://www.greenyourhead.com/kilns/

> Wood fired ovens and cooking fire generate charcoal naturally. It has been placed into the local garden soils for a very long time, according to tradition.
	[RWL:  And we are learning how to do it over again with greater efficiency with any cook able to earn money (zero cost for cooking) by making char on TLUDs and similar stoves.

> Question for Ron Larsen: is the wood fraction consumed to make such charcoal part and parcel of the fuel consumption of the stove, or not? If we can agree on the answer to that question, we will achieve much.
	[RWL:   Hope this is not a trick question - but “Yes”.  I can’t see why you ask.      Ron]