[Stoves] TLUD flame, air (primary, secondary, excess)

revjcsd at juno.com revjcsd at juno.com
Thu Feb 27 19:21:31 CST 2014

Jock,

Thank you for the analogy. Crispin's rejoinder, notwithstanding, I look forward to your fuller response when you come back from vacation.

Crispin,

I truly appreciate your detailed response (which I have yet to digest.)

I have had to fill the gaps in my training or background vis-a-vis stoves in the last 8 months since I've been seconded into my present role. I also find it very helpful in sifting through so-called, albeit misleading, facts.

And while I understand every word in the following clause, I'm not sure I understand the meaning of the sentence itself: "...accidentally creating a fire that progressively increases in intensity with time."

(Know that I am more at home in the humanities, than in engineering and physical sciences; I could readily catch the meaning of "lipstick on a pig" the first time I saw it used, but I have to look up torordial, and such.)

One quick question, for now:

Apart from the PM (particulate matter?) emission to be avoided (Jock Gill), how much, if any, heat/energy loss does a long diffusion flame represent? Is it comparable to the heat loss (Paul Olivier) that results from the distance between later/terminal pyrolysis front in a long reactor TLUD (a la Belonio)?

Once again, thank you.

Juanito