[Stoves] Starting stoves

Frank Shields frank at compostlab.com
Thu Jan 2 15:56:13 CST 2014

Dear All,

It seems most stoves work very cleanly once started. It's the starting that
produces the most particular matter and poor combustion and the part of the
process that needs improving upon.

I think that means when we light the match we need a fast, hot flame
produced from a well-mixed gas in the exact ratio for combustion and next to
a material that burns hot.

I do not understand this process (cannot visualize it) but activated carbon
has a butane activity of ~30 g per 100 grams carbon. A good Biochar has
around 10g/100grams. 30g butane = ~12 liters gas and 10g = ~4 liters gas all
'packed' into a cup of char. And char burns very hot. So wondering if loaded
char could be used as a fire starter? So one can squeeze 12 liters butane
gas into a cup of Biochar (?!?!!) using no pressure etc.

Char having high activation (> 10) I have loaded with gasoline and have a
tank of methane ready for testing when I get the time.

The next improvement might be a better way to light the stove. I was
thinking a Wile E. Coyote mechanical detonator where one pushes a plunger
that creates a spark within the packed fuel to ignite something (loaded
char?).

<http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_wpcJX2WqAXo/S06hLGzpHgI/AAAAAAAAAJY/t-fip6bv-nI/s
400/coyote-6.jpg>
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_wpcJX2WqAXo/S06hLGzpHgI/AAAAAAAAAJY/t-fip6bv-nI/s4
00/coyote-6.jpg

 <http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=printpage;topic=780.0>
http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=printpage;topic=780.0

I plan to bring some high activity biochar loaded with a couple things to
Aprovacho (after Ethos) and hope we have the time to experiment with using
it for igniting fuel.

Regards

Frank

Frank Shields