[Stoves] Starting stoves

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Sat Jan 4 01:01:09 CST 2014

Frank and all,

Very nice thoughts about starting fires in different ways.    Glad you
will be at ETHOS and at the Aprovecho Open House after ETHOS.

One comment now:   The special starter needs to be in some appropriate
contact with the fuel.    Under piles of sticks (tinder, etc) in a
stick-fire could work fine.    On top of a pile of fuel in a TLUD can be
great, but needs some additional comments.

Probably should have a small amount of the raw fuel mixed in or on top
of the starter?    This works well with pellet fuels and other fuels
that have sufficiently small size to fill in any voids between the fuel
pieces.    However.......

Be careful of gaps between pieces of larger fuel such as vertical sticks
or corn cobs, because the starter could fall down and the ignite the raw
fuel too far down in the fuel bed.

Note:   Presented months ago, but not widely discussed, is the use of
Regular char (not the starter stuff) to fill in the gaps when using
larger pieces of fuel.    I have tried that several times, always with
reasonable success.    The char-as-filler is essentially "inert" as the
pyrolysis front of the TLUD passes downward, creating more char (and
leaving the filler char re-heated but probably not modified).   (no char
is lost in this re-use of the previously created char.).

Frank, see you at ETHOS and after !!!!!!!!

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype: paultlud      Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com