[Stoves] [biochar] Re: Chaff cutters and wood choppers

Kevin kchisholm at seaside.ns.ca
Mon Jan 6 12:46:17 CST 2014

Dear Paul

The request is like the question: "How long is a piece of string"? :-) There are many different potential chaff cutter and wood chopper designs. There are as many as there are "potential applications."

Some of the variables may include:
* Production rate required.
* Manual or machine power
* Feed material
* Desired "cut product size and shape.
* Need for screening and sizing of product or not?
* Portability
* Durability
* Potential annual sales for each specific product
* Permissible price for a product or specific device to accomplish a specific task
* Etc.

These variables, and the "necessary features" required, must be specified before it is possible to configure a suitable design and to estimate a cost "at the factory gate."

So, if you required a "cutter" or "chopper" to make a fuel suitable for TLUD's, you should specify all the relevant properties and features that would be necessary for a Designer to configure a product design that would meet your needs. However, the Designer should know how much the Customer could afford to pay for the final product, so that he will know if it is even possible to build a product that will be affordable to the Target Customer. Additionally, the Designer needs to know the expected sales volume per year, so that he can figure in the economies of scale in developing prices.

Best wishes,

Kevin