[Stoves] Starting stoves

Frank Shields frank at compostlab.com
Mon Jan 6 13:44:01 CST 2014

Paul and all,

<snip>

One comment now:   The special starter needs to be in some appropriate
contact with the fuel.    Under piles of sticks (tinder, etc) in a
stick-fire could work fine.    On top of a pile of fuel in a TLUD can be
great, but needs some additional comments.

Probably should have a small amount of the raw fuel mixed in or on top of
the starter?    This works well with pellet fuels and other fuels that have
sufficiently small size to fill in any voids between the fuel pieces.
However.......

Be careful of gaps between pieces of larger fuel such as vertical sticks or
corn cobs, because the starter could fall down and the ignite the raw fuel
too far down in the fuel bed.

[Frank >] Paul - of all the people on this list you would know best. If well
running stoves produce little particular matter and most is produced when
starting, is that PM produced when starting still enough to create problems
needed to be dealt with? Perhaps not. But if it is..

My multi-fuel camp stoves lights with no smoke. You use alcohol to start
your TLUD and, I think, promote that starting method using alcohol for the
stoves you sell. It seems a matter of seamlessly transition from an alcohol
burner to wood gas burner where no smoke is produced -is the goal. Perhaps
an iris lens structure that starts closed burning alcohol then is opened as
wood gas and increased gas volume is added to the secondary. As for the
char; I know much less butane is adsorbed when the temperature of the char
is high so am thinking gas will be released when loaded char is re-heated.
Much research needed if this is a necessary goal.

I am not really saying anything - just thinking how one might lower PM
during Start -IF- that is really needed.

I will not be at ETHOS and suddenly becoming real busy and might not make
Aprovacho.

Thanks

Frank

Note:   Presented months ago, but not widely discussed, is the use of
Regular char (not the starter stuff) to fill in the gaps when using larger
pieces of fuel.    I have tried that several times, always with reasonable
success.    The char-as-filler is essentially "inert" as the pyrolysis front
of the TLUD passes downward, creating more char (and leaving the filler char
re-heated but probably not modified).   (no char is lost in this re-use of
the previously created char.).

Frank, see you at ETHOS and after !!!!!!!!

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype: paultlud      Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com