[Stoves] Forestry and fuel

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 15:46:00 CST 2014

Dear Ron (and others)

>Can anyone defend the FAO data collection effort on charcoal?

Not really 'defend' but the FAO tends to collect data only on commercial use
of biomass. They report logging and sales but will miss informal personal
use, often. James Robinson might have something to add on this. We largely
used their data once to write an analysis of fuel consumption in several
countries.

>It seemed you might have been testing a stove where the char was both made
and used in the same stove.  TLUD proponents would say that is not likely to
work.

We should not underestimate what a TLUD can burn. The fact is yes, there are
those whose products can't burn the char but there are other devices that
can.  Any fuel can be burned in a TLUD from Alcohol to Zebrawood.