[Stoves] Forward: Flame Genie Fire Pellet Pit

Jonathan P Gill jg45 at icloud.com
Tue Jan 14 16:03:39 CST 2014

Ron,

Please see a few notes inserted below.

On Jan 14, 2014, at 4:29 PM, Ronal W. Larson <rongretlarson at comcast.net> wrote:

> Jock et al
>
>   1.  Answering Michael first - if no char, I wouldn’t call it a TLUD.  But I think there will be.

It is fundamentally a TLUD, but one optimized for attractive flames and the least amount of end-user maintnance.  The current unit, with a 13 inch diameter to the combustion chamber,  holds a few pounds of pellets.  Every 20 - 30 minutes more pellets are added from the top.  This way they can get as much flame viewing time as they want.

>   2.  To Jock.  40 lbs for five hours says they aren’t interested in cooking.  Which is OK if you want a campfire with char output.  This looks somewhat like what Kelpie says she likes - based on the Japanese approach to char-making.  Forget about the lost energy.

Their current model burns all of the biomass and all of the charcoal down to the least amount of mineral ash to create the least amount of residue for the end-user.  But this might change.  Actually they appear to have a way to use it for some sort of cooking.

>       If they got 10 pounds of char out, then the 30 pounds (about 13.5 kilos) of wood at 15 MJ/kilo gave up about 200 MJoules.  or 40 MJ/hour or about 11 kW.  The solar concentrator discussed recently on this list by Dr.  Seifert is probably less than about 1 kW - and that boils rapidly.

The maker was unaware of the clean stove initiative until I spoke with him this afternoon. So it is not reasonable to burden him with clean stove requirements at this time.  He is aiming at a north American market for fire pits.  I know I want to get one.  It will make an excellent compare and contrast with my iCan TLUDs

>  3.  I am not being critical.  There may be a market here - but not for the majority of this list’s customers.  Nice looking flame, but I’d rather see the secondary air holes a little bit lower to get some draft.  And then some control on primary air.  They could probably get 15 hours without much different a look.

I posted this as a related use of TLUD technology, not because I thought it had any direct bearing on the Clean Stove work that motivates most on this list.  But you never know.  Cross pollination is a critical aspect of creativity.

Best,

Jock