[Stoves] Fuel and Forestry etc.

Ronal W. Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Sat Jan 18 16:36:10 CST 2014

Samer and ist -  See below:

On Jan 18, 2014, at 2:17 PM, Samer Abdelnour <samer.abdelnour at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Ron,
>
> I do appreciate where you are coming from, and your strong interest in char. Again, I'm probably not the right person to continue a char-focused discussion, but it is certainly an area I will look into further. That said, and if a little humour is permitted on this listserv, I'm pleased to see that you've explicitly stated your meme! :)
>
> As I noted before, I've seen that charcoal is in widespread use, however I'm unfamiliar with cultivation/production techniques. Certainly a collective of blacksmiths I researched in Darfur were hoping to move from charcoal to electricity, but this coincided with a plan for proper concrete workshop space and generally better working conditions. They were also increasingly concerned about the environmental and health impacts of their work, but for them such considerations were a luxury of their success.
     [RWL:  I would give blacksmiths the right to as much char as they need.  But I would strongly encourage their own production of char.  I believe they will find plenty of uses for the pyrolysis gases  (baking bread?  firing pottery, etc), and will save a lot of money.

> Noted in the paper is the sheer inconsistency and difficulty of measuring sexual violence in conflict zones. Few international NGOs attempt to address domestic forms of sexual (and other) violence. As a result such is often missing in gender violence statistics etc. Reports that do (some mentioned in the paper) suggest that women are not safer from sexual violence in camps. This is a fuzzy space and more research needs to be done to understand it. As for the excerpt, it argues strongly *against* placing blame and responsibility on women.
   [RWL:  I suggest you put this last sentence at the beginning and end of your papers.    Erin and I missed it.   Ron