[Stoves] ash layer beneath fire

Dr.-Ing. Dieter Seifert doseifert at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 22 07:31:24 CST 2014

DearVincent Okello,

For an improved air supply of the fire, a grate for the firewood is
highly recommendable, as you certainly know. A grate with ash container
can be produced simply from a rectangular steel sheet with upwards
bended perforated sides, in which some rods are supported. Below this
grid ash is deposited and produces an heat insulating effect.

You can introduce this grate with ash container also into the improved
clay stove of Practical Action
(http://practicalaction.org/the-improved-clay-stove).

One canmake a dough from ash with water and spread it on the pot
outside, so that the soot can be easily rinsed off, as it is known in
Africa.

With kind regards
Dieter

Dr.-Ing. Dieter Seifert