[Stoves] ash layer beneath fire

D M dm_mena at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 22 10:01:33 CST 2014

Hello,

We have been using 1” perlite as
insulation beneath a clay combustion chamber with very good results. Before
using the perlite we had tried ash with good results also.   We decided to try the insulation
to prevent heat loss a few years ago when designing the prototype of a Rocket
stove (the Isleña stove).  The perlite is
enclosed inside the stove body, around and below the combustion chamber.  A removable metal grate for air flow under
the fire is placed inside the clay combustion chamber.

Best regards,

D. Mena