[Stoves] Centralized vs Distributed

Jonathan P Gill jg45 at icloud.com
Wed Jan 22 11:12:33 CST 2014

Friends,

The conflict between the centralized paradigm and the decentralized paradigm is very old indeed.  It also colors the the work with stoves.  I posted a note on this conflict yesterday. The perspective was the recent revelations on international spying by the UK and USA.  None the less, it is part of the background context for stove workers as well.

See:  http://www.greaterdemocracy.org/archives/1646

I tend to concur that it is an and/both world and a careful and fluid and dynamic mix of centralization with decentralization will emerge.

On another note, I see many points raised as to why stoving is important work.  The one area I see too little written about is the economic benefits that a stove might enable.  I would expect that if a stove improves the users economic and social status, the user would find such a unit much more compelling than ones that do not.  For example, a char producing stove might increase kitchen garden output while decreasing costly inputs. Can a stove turn a kitchen garden into a family profit center?    Is there any research on the economic benefits to users of new stoves?  What is the economic benefit that creates a tipping point in favor of moving to new stove technologies?

Regards from a very chilly VT.  We are expecting negative 15 - 20 F tonight.

Jock

Jonathan P Gill
P.O Box 3
Peacham, VT. 05862