[Stoves] Centralized vs Distributed

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Wed Jan 22 13:08:15 CST 2014

Dear Jock

>The one area I see too little written about is the economic benefits that a
stove might enable.

You will be interested at some future time to read the social science work
done in Indonesia that notes about 80% of rural homes in Central Java are
using their domestic cooking stoves for economic gain. I think that was the
number.

>For example, a char producing stove might increase kitchen garden output
while decreasing costly inputs. Can a stove turn a kitchen garden into a
family profit center?

If there is a market for the charcoal (there is much of one) then yes, it
would. Stoves that cook for 2-3 hrs per day are often making sugar for 4-8
hrs a day as well. That is why so many are multi pot. They cook on the waste
heat of boiling palm juice.

>Is there any research on the economic benefits to users of new stoves?
What is the economic benefit that creates a tipping point in favor of moving
to new stove technologies?

Cooking food (or snacks) for sale is an obvious one.

Regards

Crispin at -23 with a wind chill of a biting -31 C