[Stoves] Stoves Digest-mailto:SAYoung at sandiegozoo.org

Art Donnelly art.donnelly at seachar.org
Fri Jan 31 21:14:56 CST 2014

Hola Samantha,
My name is Art Donnelly. I work for a US-based non-profit, SeaChar.Org.
We have been working with local partners, since 2010, in Central America
(mostly Costa Rica) introducing biochar and TLUD stoves to indigenous
farmers and migrant farm workers.
TLUD stoves can make an excellent source of heat for a plancha style stove.
However the plancha will have to be designed to take advantage of this. The
fact that they can utilize a broad range of alternative biomass for fuels
is one advantage, that they can produce high quality charcoal as a
by-product is another.

Yes, they are fundamentally  different to operate than a traditional  stove
or one that has been improved using rocket combustion chamber. However with
the proper design and a robust training and follow-up program, I believe
you could have success  with them as an alternative.

As Kevin points out, it is unproductive to think that people will switch
completely from their old cooking methods to any one improved cook-stove.
Just like us in the US, most people will practice some form "stove
stacking" ; in other words using more than one cooking appliance in their
kitchen.

You can learn more about what we have been doing at the
www.seachar.orgwebsite or our FaceBook page:
https://www.facebook.com/SeaChar. Please feel free to contact me directly
for more information - art.donnelly at seachar.org. We would be interested in
helping you evaluate your options.