[Stoves] Plastic in briquettes, and potential new stove brick design. (declassified ? )

Rok Oblak rok.stoves at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 02:33:46 CDT 2014

Hey all,

interesting sketches for the expandable stove, as Richard said, we did some
similar designs in Malawi, having 3,4 or 5-sided stove. Here is only a
version with 4 but you get the idea

http://holeyroket.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/img_62071.jpg

it was made out of clay, mixed with sawdust+ashes+sand and thrown in a
wooden mold

http://holeyroket.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/img_58971.jpg

later we found out its better to glue the walls together - for the
durability purposes

http://holeyroket.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/img_60181.jpg

I found the biggest issue was how to accomodate different pot-sizes to
provide a snug fit. Then again, the 5-sized stove didnt work so well with
briquettes as the briquette-stove fit needs to be well tought-through
depending on their size. In this case we had bigger briquettes (cca 16cm in
diameter), so 4-walled stove worked best

other issues i though about with this design:
- is the user the one that modifies the size or there are different 'fixed'
versions to buy (and the design serves just for economized manufacturing
purposes);
- static durability - is the stove strong enough to hold aggressive
nsima-mixing for instance;
- how to attach the modules together - chemically or phisically (in this
concept for mdula, we had different solutions, one being wrapping it with a
wire, than surrounding it with clay, where the walls serve as an insulator,
then 'gluing' it with clay while the modules are semi-dry. also wrapping
them with a metal cilinder (or any kind of recycled metal structure that
holds the parts together) as you also suggest there if i get it right

as for the plastics in briquettes - do you have any information what
temperature is needed to burn plastics in briquette-formation well? Would
be interesting to check out if the roket-stove model as Joshua developed
contributes to cleaner burning of plastics comparing to regular
briquette-burning in an open fire or other stoves like the jiko. my tests
showed significantly lower CO emissions for the elbow/roket construction
for briquettes with a hole, but i never tried to test burning plastics :)

good luck to all!
Rok Oblak

On Sat, Jul 12, 2014 at 11:57 PM, Richard Stanley <rstanley at legacyfound.org>
wrote:

> Paul,
>
> Thanks for the info about the use of PET plastics in briquettes and Kens
> and Robert briquette bricks
>
> We had an interesting discussion about four/ five  years ago in this group
> about the use of plastics in briquettes: Kevin Chisolm and others had
> reported on the issue of combusting at least,  polyethylene as a short
> chained hydrocarbon. Studies  from Scame out o the UK and Sweden,
> concerning the wiso dom of burning it instead of burying it.
>

> Turns out that this type of plastic is relatively "clean burning" and it
>  turns out to also be the main constituent in those ubiquitous whispy two
> to  five (??) liter sized shopping bags. These bags comprise the majority
> of the very  blight we see in all too many depressed economies globally.
> (They are sarcastically termed the national flower of many developing
> nations).
>
> As applied to   low pressure,  wet process of biomass briquetting, about
> one typical bag (weighing 6 to 8 grams (size wise it would hold  two to
> three liters ) is abou all that can be used  per one 130 gram briquette (
> 10cm Ø x 7cm height   before one begins to  encounter binding issues and
> drying problems.  Thats  fine though,  because  two and a half of such
> briquettes are required per the avdrage family member per day  while the
> average family of 6 such average persons only consumes about two to  four
> bags per day. Using them in briquettes would actually tend to clean up the
> neighborhood "for free".
>
> In using the bags  however , one needs to really shred them into whispy
> shards ( with a mean Ø of ≤12mm (½") --with torn edges of stringy
> ganglia-like fibers.
>
> Anything more solid much less larger or in the case of chopped pet bottles
> more resistant to deformation, and they will tend to seariously block the
> migration of moisure out of the briquette in the drying process.  I think
> taht in the case of utilising the PET bottle in said briquetting process at
> least, it would require chopping grinding  them into ≤ 2.5mm (⅛') Ø
> granules --- much like  the feedstock for plastic injection machines---and
> using them as a granular additive much like rice husks sawdust etc
> etc..before they could be found useful at least in the low pressure wet
> process. I can only speculate that if used in higher pressure briquetting
> operations, they may well melt and flow interstitally, thus acting as a
> very durable binder…
>
> I will be interested to read the study when you / Robert gain access to it.
>
> Re the adjustable briquettes for stove wall design, I would ask Rok Oblak
> to please comment on his earier design out of Malawi as well as Brian and
> Nancy Davis to comment on the evolution fo same for their COCI Nica stove
> as it is emerging rapidly in  Nicaragua.
>

>  Thanks again,
>
> Richard Stanley

> [...]

*Rok Oblak, MAA Design*

rok.stoves at gmail.com