[Stoves] Plastic in briquettes, and potential new stove brick design. (declassified ? )

Richard Stanley rstanley at legacyfound.org
Sat Jul 12 16:57:41 CDT 2014

Paul,

Thanks for the info about the use of PET plastics in briquettes and Kens and Robert briquette bricks

We had an interesting discussion about four/ five  years ago in this group about the use of plastics in briquettes: Kevin Chisolm and others had reported on the issue of combusting at least,  polyethylene as a short chained hydrocarbon. Studies  from Scame out o the UK and Sweden, concerning the wiso dom of burning it instead of burying it.

Turns out that this type of plastic is relatively "clean burning" and it  turns out to also be the main constituent in those ubiquitous whispy two to  five (??) liter sized shopping bags. These bags comprise the majority of the very  blight we see in all too many depressed economies globally. (They are sarcastically termed the national flower of many developing nations).

As applied to   low pressure,  wet process of biomass briquetting, about one typical bag (weighing 6 to 8 grams (size wise it would hold  two to three liters ) is abou all that can be used  per one 130 gram briquette ( 10cm Ø x 7cm height   before one begins to  encounter binding issues and drying problems.  Thats  fine though,  because  two and a half of such briquettes are required per the avdrage family member per day  while the average family of 6 such average persons only consumes about two to  four bags per day. Using them in briquettes would actually tend to clean up the neighborhood "for free".

In using the bags  however , one needs to really shred them into whispy shards ( with a mean Ø of ≤12mm (½") --with torn edges of stringy ganglia-like fibers.

Anything more solid much less larger or in the case of chopped pet bottles more resistant to deformation, and they will tend to seariously block the migration of moisure out of the briquette in the drying process.  I think taht in the case of utilising the PET bottle in said briquetting process at least, it would require chopping grinding  them into ≤ 2.5mm (⅛') Ø granules --- much like  the feedstock for plastic injection machines---and using them as a granular additive much like rice husks sawdust etc etc..before they could be found useful at least in the low pressure wet process. I can only speculate that if used in higher pressure briquetting operations, they may well melt and flow interstitally, thus acting as a very durable binder…

I will be interested to read the study when you / Robert gain access to it.

Re the adjustable briquettes for stove wall design, I would ask Rok Oblak to please comment on his earier design out of Malawi as well as Brian and Nancy Davis to comment on the evolution fo same for their COCI Nica stove as it is emerging rapidly in  Nicaragua.

 Thanks again,

Richard Stanley