[Stoves] SNV results in Camaroon including TLUD issues

Bjarne Laustsen bjarne at kiwlau.com
Fri Mar 7 02:44:05 CST 2014

I agree very much with Crispin and AJH that social acceptability is one
of the most important aspect of getting ICS to work in practice.

However I have some reservations about the SNV test in Cameroon.

We know that requirements towards stoves differs very much from area to
area. When test are done by taking different stoves from different
countries and testing these stoves without modifications so these stoves
meet the requirements of the area of testing, as seems to be the case in
this testing. Then these stoves will likely fall short of requirements.

This will especially be the case of batch stoves like gasification
stoves that often have special requirements for fuel. If cooking time in
the new area are different from what the batch stove can provide, then
there will be problems. It is therefore important that stoves is
modified and adapted towards the requirements of the area before it is
tested.

I therefore find it unfair that the Mwoto gasification stove get such
negative review.

We also know that it takes time for households and cooks to get used to
new stoves and cooking method. So by only allowing test households one
week to test a stove and even asking the same households to test 5
different stoves for one week each. For me such testing procedure seems
likely to give some bias in the testing process.

Bjarne Laustsen

On 3/6/2014 11:43 AM, ajheggie at gmail.com wrote:
> [Default] On Wed, 5 Mar 2014 22:21:08 -0500,Crispin Pembert-Pigott
> <crispinpigott at outlook.com> wrote:
>
>> Acceptance of the stove for non-technical reasons is the major course of
>> programme failure. We should not beat around the bush. Social acceptability
>> can be assessed using Cecil Cook's 9 dimensions, which he likes to put in a
>> spider chart with 5 (best/acceptable) in the centre and 1 at the outside
>> edge.  The dots are connected producing a 'web'.  Highly acceptable stoves
>> have the points (scores) clustered in the centre with perhaps some outlying
>> arms here and there. Poorly accepted stoves have a large diameter web mostly
>> traced around the periphery.
> Crispin, a picture  would help, maybe of one chart of a poorly
> accepted stove and one of a highly accepted on using Cecil's web.
>
> To my mind this has always been the crux of propagating superior
> performing stoves in economically deprived communities, if we had been
> able to come up with a stove with vastly superior advantages it would
> have taken of just like the PC, Ipad or cell phone did in advanced
> economies.
>
> AJH

Bjarne Laustsen
Director