[Stoves] Stove variables display diagram - Spider diagrams

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Tue Mar 11 14:31:23 CDT 2014

Dear all,

1.   Richard, THANK YOU for changing the Subject line so we know what is
being discussed.

2.  My professional career as a university professor including teaching
cartography (mapping), in which symbols and graphics were much
emphasized.   We want our graphics about stoves to be useful and
accurate.     Some pointers which are MY thoughts and are not
standardized anywhere:

a.  The spider graph is very appropriate.   Do a Google search of
spider graph     and see a few dozen examples.

b.  the outer edge (perimeter) is probably best for the most favorable
reading because it is more difficult to read the values that are all in
close to the center.   And we assume that many stoves will eventually
get in close to  the center.

c.  ALL of the scales should increase IN DESIRABILITY from the center
toward the periphery.   That means that low CO emissions (0.0) is at the
edge and absurdly high is in the center.   And efficiency numbers are
high at the edge and zero at the center. Otherwise the visual clarity of
"goodness" is jumping into the center and back out again with each
different variable.

d.  There is no need for the same "scale" to be along each radial
line.    Some are integral numeric.   Others can be rankings as numbers,
and some could be in a word scale (but should at least have ordinal
ranking).

e.   Crispin gave a great list of variables

> Social science metrics include preferences, fuels, controllability,
> lighting time, ease of learning to use it, appearance, comparison with
> other products such as traditional stoves or competing improved
> stoves, working life, ease of maintenance, ability to accommodate a
> range of pots or multiple pots, price, installation cost, transport to
> the home issues, attention demand, fuel preparation requirement,
> safety concerns, space heating, light casting, clothes drying ability,
> fuel drying ability, thermal mass heat storage, fuel flexibility and
> many others relating to opinions of users or observers. Perception of
> modernity is another.

Plus there are the physical science metrics whether measured in the Lab
or in the Field (therefore TWO sets for each), and we hope that they are
similar results, but the spider graph would help point out the differences.

3.  To make this all useful for evaluation of stoves, we really need
some efforts and some examples and much discussion.   It will take a
while to get something (multiple things) established.

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype: paultlud      Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com