[Stoves] Looking for stove designþ

Lloyd Helferty lhelferty at sympatico.ca
Thu Mar 13 19:40:46 CDT 2014

Crispin,

   I was looking up the topic of Zambia (part of a task I have been
doing recently looking at what countries might be seeking out
biochar-producing stoves), and I came across this old email, where right
at the end (bottom) you write, "The soils of Zambia are already
/*famously productive*/".
   This was _not_ the impression that I had been given about Zambia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecoregions_of_Zambia#Soils

  * Red sandveld soils *cover _most of the country_*, and are generally
    *not very fertile* due to weathering and leaching; the top soil is
    *sandy*

  * Grey dambo soils contain more nutrients but are waterlogged in the
    rainy season and often *very acidic*, restricting the plants which
    can grow there to sedges and wiry grasses tolerant of marshy conditions.

  * Kalahari Sands in the south-west of the country are *infertile and
    do not retain moisture*

ONLY:

  * *Black soils of floodplains* are fertile, grasses grow on them as
    soon as the annual flood recedes and provide a rich resource for
    herbivores.*If the annual flood is _disrupted by dams_, woody shrubs
    of lower nutritional value tend to replace grasses and so reduce the
    number of herbivores and biodiversity.*

Are you referring (only) to the "Black soils of floodplains"? What about
the rest of the country?

Regards,

   Lloyd Helferty, Engineering Technologist
   Principal, Biochar Consulting (Canada)
   www.biochar-consulting.ca
   48 Suncrest Blvd, Thornhill, ON, Canada
   905-707-8754
   CELL: 647-886-8754
      Skype: lloyd.helferty
   Steering Committee coordinator
   Canadian Biochar Initiative (CBI)
   CURRENTS, A working group of Science for Peace
   http://www.scienceforpeace.ca/currents/
   President, Co-founder & CBI Liaison, Biochar-Ontario
   National Office, Canadian Carbon Farming Initiative (CCFI)
   Organizing team member, 2013 N/A Biochar Symposium:
     www.carbon-negative.us/symposium
   Member of the Don Watershed Regeneration Council (DWRC)
   Manager, Biochar Offsets Group:
            http://www.linkedin.com/groups?home=&gid=2446475
    Advisory Committee Member, IBI
   http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=1404717
   http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=42237506675
   http://groups.google.com/group/biochar-ontario
   http://www.meetup.com/biocharontario/
   http://www.biocharontario.ca
    www.biochar.ca

"Producing twice as much food with diminishing resources, without further loss of natural habitats and biodiversity and in a changing climate may be the greatest challenge facing humanity."
    - Lloyd Helferty