[Stoves] Coffee husk

Otto Formo terra-matricula at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 17 14:30:29 CDT 2014

Willem,

Like with any type of biomass fuel, you should mainly focus on moisture, moisture and MOISTURE content (only) of your finished product.

Any type of biomass attracking moisture,  should be avoided, if you like to avoide smoke and fumes.
The more dense a pellet is, the better = less moisture.

I would advice;
NOT to mix bark into pellets, while bark "attracks" and normaly keep a higher moisture content, than the rest of the woody biomass.

We also experienced some challanges using waste from a corn mill, while a small amont of corn, among the colbs, had a much higher moisture content (even oil), than the cornstalks themselves.
This little mixture gave us fumes, smelling like burned corncolbs and realy disturbed the gasification, notably.

We also faced some problem with pucksized ricehusks, due to the fact they were not dense enough and started to glow, disturbing the gasfication process, too.

But any size up to pucksize will do in a proper ND gasifier, IF they are DENSE enough.

In Uganda, they have produced briquettes out of coffyhusks to be used in ordinary stoves, like Kampala Jellitone Suppliers.
See link:
http://www.ashden.org/winners/KJS09

So Our experience:
LESS moisture and MORE dense biomassfuel, will give the best results, looking at both efficiency and emissions.

Kindly

Otto F