[Stoves] another rocket stove issue for discussion

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Tue May 6 07:42:52 CDT 2014

Dear Michael

This very day David Beritault and Rowena from YDD and I were discussing this
very point. The liner (which does not have to be a 'Rocket elbow' it could
be any good combustion chamber with good performance, matched to certain
fuels.

My input was that this can be an advanced ceramic product (not metal)
because the performance is so much better and ceramic is cheaper than metal.

What one must remember is that if it were done using a truly advanced
technology, it would not be fragile. Possible shapes are the interesting
fuel holder and grate in the Rocket Works (RocketWorx?) stove which was
shown at the Phnom Penh meeting last year. It has preheated secondary air
injection, a low rate of char production (it burns almost completely) and
low PM. This is a good way to start: with a device that already has good
performance.

Consider other designs that are suited to particular areas, addressing
topics of interest. The stove promoted by Rebecca in the Philippines
addresses a major safety issue with the collapse of ceramic stoves (dropping
a hot pot contents onto the floor). Ceramic stoves are not long-lived
because of material issues and they can fracture suddenly.

It is my hope that borosilicate glass will be used in mass produced inserts
that you could bring to your region and place inside a locally made
structure. Perhaps it will require 3 parts, not 1. Such a stove could have
sophisticated performance and a high local content.