[Stoves] attempt at swirling secondary air

kgharris kgharris at sonic.net
Tue May 6 11:14:56 CDT 2014

David,

I did some experiments with swirl or vortex in a natural draft
TLUD stove. My experience was that a small amount helps mix the gasses some,
but
when I added too much swirl the smoke level increased. I assumed the fast
swirling gasses
acted as a centrifuge separating the cooler heavier air from the hotter
lighter weight bio-gasses, the heavier air migrating to the outer edge and
the lighter bio-gasses migrating to the center, thus reducing mixing. A
small amount of swirl did seem to avoid this problem and to help some,
producing less smoke and soot. Another problem I ran into with too much
swirl is that the swirling secondary air can descend into the stove along
the reactor wall. Buoyancy would be the driving mechanism, cooler heavier
air descending and displacing hotter lighter flame gasses which the air
buoys upward. Fast swirling air seemed to be especially affected by this.
When the
air reaches the fuel it can cause an out of control fire that does not
respond to closing the primary air off. Both of these problems might
possibly be helped by bringing the temperatures of the air and gas closer
together, and thus reducing buoyancy forces. One good thing about the
descending air is that when it is controlled, it gives a mechanism for
enabling substantial turn-down in a TLUD stove by keeping the low power
flame near the char. The supporting hot char keeps the small flame hot and
alive
when the primary air is reduced.
I never tried the strakes idea to make swirl, but you are right that
it looks work intensive. I used vertical slits made with a knife which I
twisted with a screwdriver for the secondary air inlets. I tried different
angles and combinations, but directing the air horizontally and tangentially
worked best. Once I added to this a set of fan like blades over the fuel and
below
the secondary to add spin to the rising wood gas. The combination of the
two spins made the flame spin so fast that when it emerged from the stove
the flame was shaped like a round bee hive. This was a smoky, smelly flame,
which was interesting but probably useless.
Your stove is quite different from mine so I expect it will respond
differently. I'm looking forward to learning more from your work because
this is an area of interest for me too.

Kirk H
Santa Rosa, CA. USA