[Stoves] attempt at swirling secondary air

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Sat May 10 23:10:10 CDT 2014

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 08:31:35PM -0500, Paul Anderson wrote:
> Crispin,
>
> Please provide some photos (recent or historic) or links to
> documents about the elongated holes.

Paul,

I found a series of articles about fabricating radiused holes, starting
at

http://metalformingmagazine.com/magazine/article.asp?iid=69&aid=6177

On the physics, I found the other day

http://nptel.ac.in/courses/Webcourse-contents/IIT-KANPUR/FLUID-MECHANICS/lecture-14/14-7_losses_sudden_contract.htm

Under the heading 'Entry Loss' there is a set of diagrams that depicts
the conditions that interest stovers.  Also on the physics, I found

http://www.ivorbittle.co.uk/Books/Fluids%20book/Chapter%205%20web%20docs/Chapter%205%20Examples%20energy%20equation%20whole%20doc.htm

BTW, I found the physics resources by looking for "radiused edge fluid
flow" with Google image search.  In a talk Edward Tufte gave recently in
Urbana, he suggested using image search as a first resort, because your
eye can pick out a relevant picture or diagram among hundreds faster
than you can read a similar number of web-page excerpts.  The strategy
seems to work for me.

Dave

--
David Young