[Stoves] The Cookstove / Homestead Garden Ecosystem in Bangladesh

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Sat May 10 22:50:34 CDT 2014

Dear Stovers,
this stove pictured in this message looks very similar to the Laxmi
stove developed by Appropriate Rural Technology Institute. Laxmi had
two pot-holes. It was installed in at least a million rural households
in India, in the course of a Government funded campaign called
"National Programme on Improved Cookstoves". This programme was
terminated in 2002, but the stove is still quite popular and we
continue selling it. But we are now facing great difficulties in
getting the chimney pipes, which used to be mass produced  in those
days and were used as water pipes. They have now given way to PVC
pipes which are lighter and more durable.
Yours
A.D.Karve

On Fri, May 9, 2014 at 10:12 PM, Julien Winter <winter.julien at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Dieter and list;
>
> Thank-you for you calculations.  They are very helpful to clarify the point
> that efficient cookstoves reduces the stress on scarce biomass resources.
>
> As was recently highlighted on the Stoves listserv, a Servals TLUD cookstove
> is at the centre of a development project on the Indian side of the
> Sundarbans.  In a preliminary survey of stove acceptance, the saving in
> fuelwood gathering and time spent collecting fuel were cited as attractive
> attributes of the stove.
> http://www.biochar-international.org/sites/default/files/Servals-Sapient_TLUD_Pilot_Study-Sunderbans_project.pdf
> (A caveat for this survey and the apparent success of the TLUD:  the people
> live near a lot of wood fuel that is good for TLUDs, and it would seem that
> the only alternative cooking technology in use was the traditional mud
> stove, so the TLUD was a very good option in those circumstances.)
>
> The current improved cookstove being most widely promoted in Bangladesh
> today the "Bondhu Chula".  It is a combustion stove, with bottom-fed primary
> air, and secondary air and fuel-loading coming through a side port.  It is
> all assembled in a cooking bench with a chimney.  It has an energy
> efficiency of around 30%.  The design was developed by the Bangladesh
> Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, and variations are being
> distributed by NGOs like GIZ.
>
> I have attached a photograph that shows the locally-manufactured cement
> modules.
> 1)  On the right is the fire box.  It has a metal grate at the bottom for
> primary air, and you can see the hole for fuel and secondary air at the top.
> On the top of this fire box sits the pot.  This configuration is a "single
> mouth" cooker.  What you can't see is a small hole at the left side of the
> fire box that directs emissions to ...
> 2)  The chimney modules on the left side of the picture.
> These modules are enclosed in a clay cooking bench.
>
> Twenty-five million households cook with biomass.  Of these, I believe only
> a couple of million use the improved cookstove, but I could be very mistaken
> on that number.
>
> Ah!!  My photo is redundant.  I just found a Youtube video:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n7ZU9K2YtE
>

> Regards,
> Julien.
>

> --
> Julien Winter
> Cobourg, ON, CANADA

***
Dr. A.D. Karve
Trustee & Founder President, Appropriate Rural Technology Institute (ARTI)