[Stoves] The Cookstove / Homestead Garden Ecosystem in Bangladesh

Julien Winter winter.julien at gmail.com
Fri May 9 13:24:27 CDT 2014

Hi Crispin and list;

Information on the efficiencies of various stoves and how they were
calculated can be found in:

Halim, SA. 2008. A Technical Manual of Improved Cooking Stoves. Publisher:
Bangladesh: Addressing Indoor Air Pollution. Implemented by: Village
Education Resource Center (VERC) and Winrock International. 78 pages.
http://www.cleancookstoves.org/resources_files/a-technical-manual-of.pdf

On page 16, they say:

"The efficiency of the stove is defined as the ratio of the nett amount of
heat absorbed by the water in the utensil and the amount of sensible heat
supplied by the fuel.  The efficiency of a cooking stove is generally
determined by the water evaporation method. It is measured by heating a
certain amount of water in a utensil using specific amount of fuel wood."
Then they give the equations.

On page 52:
Table No-3: Comparison of Different Parameters of ICS Models

I have not yet examined the method of measuring the efficiency of
cookstoves in any detail.

Just as an addendum to what I have said already in this thread:

In any country, it is important respect the amount of work others have put
into improved cookstove technologies, and not just wonder in as a
biochar-enthusiast with an armful of TLUDs and rice hull gasifiers.  The
Bhondu Chulas have been specifically designed for the fuels, cooking
culture, and local manufacturing capabilities of Bangladesh.  By contrast,
a TLUD must look like an exotic animal, with a very fussy diet.  That is
why I think that the best we can hope for is that TLUDs compliment existing
cooking technology, and not replace it.  It is important to involve the
developers of the Bhondu Chula in the development of gasifier technology,
especially because of their skill.  They are keen.

Cheers,
Julien

--
Julien Winter