[Stoves] question about longevity Re: concrete rocket stoves

Michael N Trevor mtrevor at ntamar.net
Wed May 14 00:52:39 CDT 2014

Thanks you for the response.  Decades would be wonderful but in todays world is very unrealistic, and in the environment here impossible.  Here at 5/6 feet above sea level  80 degrees F plus 100 percent humidity and constant salt even stainless steel does no last.  Broken coral aggregate and foraminiferous sand simply do not make a concrete that can tolerate fire. WWII armored tanks do not even exist as rust spots on the reef.   On a coral atoll there is nothing to use  except calcium carbonate and humus. Everything else is imported at a cost many can not pay.
In reality here 2/3/4 years is a miracle  unless built to standards no one can afford.  A solar reflector would be corroded beyond use in 12 to 24 months.
They were tried and trashed, after the steel legs rusted and collapsed leaving the reflector propped up on pieces of wood. The condensed moisture in say gas or kerosene from simple daily expansion and contraction rusts out tanks in couple years.

Without a cost effective viable alternative people will go back to the 3 stone fire. It worked for grandma, it worked in the 19th century and it worked a thousand years ago.
Michael N Trevor
Majuro
Marshal Islands