[Stoves] attempt at swirling secondary air

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Tue May 13 21:26:39 CDT 2014

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 07:26:31AM +0800, Crispin Pembert-Pigott wrote:
> To get better penetration into the rising column of gas, make holes as
> follows:

I have tried this out.  I can see a difference: judging by the shape of
the flames, the secondary air penetrates further into the rising wood
gas in narrower jets.

It's difficult to punch inlets that do not have cracks in them, but I'm
having better luck in my latest attempts than when I began.  Oiling both
the homemade punch and die seems to help.

I can induce a swirl by tilting the secondary air inlets.  I have found
that reinserting the punch and using it to bend the inlets in the
direction I desire is easier than punching with punch and die offset.
Bending the inlets lengthen any cracks in the sheet metal.

My previous burner used 48 secondary inlets with sharp edges.  My
current burner uses 32 inlets with radiused edges.  I'm not getting
complete combustion (soot builds up on my kettle), so I'm going to try
concentrating rings (both inner and outer) above the secondary air
supply, since that is a simple and nondestructive experiment.  Then I
may add more inlets.

Dave

--
David Young