[Stoves] Others may know this but it new to me WILSON SOLARCOOKER

Dean Still deankstill at gmail.com
Wed May 14 15:41:43 CDT 2014

Hi All,

Let's say, as rules of thumb (definition: wrong but tend to work anyway),
that there are 250 BTUs in a square foot of sunshine per hour.

There are approximately 8,600 BTU in a pound of wood. Stored solar energy!

So it takes a solar cooker with about 34 square feet of intercepted
sunlight to equal the cooking power of one pound of wood burned in one hour.

The intercepted sunlight would be about 6' by 6'. About 1/3 of the energy
would cook the food and 2/3 would do other less useful things.

Give or take: 3,000 BTU would boil 2 gallons of water in about an hour.

In my experience, solar cookers are great if they are big enough to do the
cooking task! We used them every summer to cook lunch and dinner for 20
people and it was really nice to have a no fuss cooker that needed almost
no tending and did not increase entropy. It was great not to deal with a
hot fire on summer days. At the Aprovecho farm we used stored solar energy
in the winter and direct solar energy in the summer for cooking, heating
water, etc.

Best,

Dean