[Stoves] Solar cookers

Philip Lloyd plloyd at mweb.co.za
Thu May 15 16:04:49 CDT 2014

As this is a bioenergy list, I hope we can now leave solar cookers in the
light of Otto's very sensible comments.  Our own experience confirms Otto's
observations in every detail.  Solar cookers don't work in the Sub-Saharan
situation partly because the staple foods don't do very well in solar
cookers; partly because the cooks actually enjoy being involved in food
preparation, and are unhappy leaving the food to cook where they can't
taste, stir, smell the process; and partly because this is Africa, and if
some wanderer doesn't steal your food, then there is a real prospect that a
monkey or some other animal will.  Tellingly, one failed experimenter wrote
"The road to the north is littered with abandoned solar cookers!" Stick to
stoves, brother stovers - the solar route has been extensively tried and
repeatedly failed.

Prof Philip Lloyd

Energy Institute

Cape Peninsula University of Technology